Butterflies and Dragonflies United

This website does not promote the development of anorexia or any other eating disorder. The content of this site may be triggering. Browse at your own discretion.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

This website does not promote the development of anorexia or any other eating disorder. The content of this site may be triggering. Browse at your own discretion.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A pro-ana website. We do not promote the development of anorexia or any other eating disorder. Browse at your own risk.

Latest topics

» When people get suspicious
Bread EmptyWed 15 Feb - 21:19 by CoolGurl

» Tell me all your pro-ana thoughts
Bread EmptyTue 6 Dec - 7:50 by CoolGurl

» CATS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bread EmptyFri 16 Sep - 10:25 by enchanted1981

» How much would you like to lose for Christmas?
Bread EmptyFri 16 Sep - 10:13 by enchanted1981

» Information about sharing tips
Bread EmptyMon 25 Jul - 8:47 by CoolGurl

» Favorite pro ana tips?
Bread EmptyMon 25 Jul - 8:45 by CoolGurl

» We need more activity on the forum
Bread EmptyMon 25 Jul - 8:42 by CoolGurl

» Hey
Bread EmptyMon 25 Jul - 8:40 by CoolGurl

» Kalan from MPA
Bread EmptyMon 25 Jul - 8:39 by CoolGurl

Quotes

5 posters

Bread

ButterflyAna
    ButterflyAna

Bread Empty Bread

Post by ButterflyAna Sun 22 Jun - 0:30

Some love it. Some hate it. Some call it diet taboo. Here's my 2 cents on bread:

Refined versus Whole Grain. There's a HUGE difference between refined grain and whole grain. refined grain had been processed, so a lot of nutrients have been lost. refining it also makes it a LOT faster to digest, so you will feel hungrier sooner. Enriched (refined) grain had some nutrients added, but it is still digests quickly. Whole grain is so much better. This goes for rice, pasta, crackers, cereal, and other grain products, too.

Whole Grain versus Fiber-Rich. I have found a bread (Pepperidge Farm whole grain double fiber bread) that I think is better than regular whole grain. A slice of that fiber-rich bread makes me feel more full than a slice of whole grain. Besides: the extra fiber helps fight constipation, which is an unfortunate side effect of extreme starvation.

Whole Grain versus No Grain. I personally try to limit my bread intake. It can be difficult to completely cut out bread and grain products, but reducing intake has definitely made it easier for me to stick to my calorie limits without getting unbearably hungry.

Ways to reduce bread (or other grain) intake:

1. use open sandwiches. Only have the bottom slice of a sandwich, serving as the holder for its contents. You can often replace the top slice with a large lettuce leaf or a few. lettuce has less calories and more nutrients than bread anyways.
    2. spinach wraps. They look like green tortillas and are made from spinach instead of grains. They have a bit of a strong flavor, but you can often work that with the food it contains. one spinach wrap has less calories than two regular slices of bread.
    3. thin-cut bread. There are some thin-cut slices of bread that are 50-70% the amount of calories as a regular sized bread. They can be flimsy sometimes, but toasting them fixes their stability problems.
    4. lettuce leaves and kale chips. Instead of potato chips or tortilla chips for salsa and guacamole, use lettuce leaves or kale chips. Fresh lettuce leaves have a nice watery crunch. Kale chips are baked pieces of kale, and have a dry, crispy texture similar to tortilla chips.

Grains vs other Carbs. Basically, there are a lot of popular diets out there that reduce or outright remove grains and carbohydrates. Grain carbs behave differently from fruit or vegetable carbs. The starch and sugar molecules are arranged differently and therefore will be digested in slightly different paths. Fruits and veggies have more fiber and more nutrients naturally (grains are often fortified), plus a higher water content. As paleoanthropologists learned, our ancestors have been eating fruits, nuts, and veggies a LOT longer than grains. Our bodies are better adapt at handling those carbs compared to grain, corn, legumes, and potatoes.

VERDICT:
    Avoid eating grains if possible. If that is impractical, try to limit your consumption by reducing your portions or swapping grains for vegetables whenever possible. At the very least, use whole grains and not that refined grain crap.
    Antimony
    Antimony

Bread Empty Re: Bread

Post by Antimony Mon 11 May - 18:15

100% agree. I eat a fair amount of grains, always whole (bread and oatmeal, occasionally wholegrain cereal) and it still bloats me a little. Not enough to make me want to limit intake outside of bikini season or for a boy though. whole grains aren't necessarily bad for you, but there are obviously many much better options.
    TheRoadToPerfection
    TheRoadToPerfection

Post by TheRoadToPerfection Sun 30 Aug - 13:49

I think it's just easier not to have bread tbh. Goodbye bread!
    my_lovely_bones
    my_lovely_bones

Post by my_lovely_bones Tue 15 Sep - 7:32

I haven't bought bread for myself in so long. I can't remember the last time I had bread at home.
    waitingtodisappear
    waitingtodisappear

Post by waitingtodisappear Wed 16 Sep - 15:20

I completely agree.

I try to eat as little grains as I can.
    I almost never eat bread anymore.

If I do eat grains I always go for whole grains. They are way better for you.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 26 Apr - 11:54